Dog walkers found pill-stuffed meatballs by 24th Avenue and Ortega Street of the Sunset district in San Francisco at 9AM this morning.
The meatball findings reminds locals of an incident earlier this year. In February, a Chesapeake Bay retriever ate what was suspected to be poisoned meatballs in Twin Peaks. The animal was forced to vomit and no injuries occurred.
Both incidences this year alarm authorities due events in July 2013 when meatballs with strychnine, a lethal neurotoxin capable of killing both humans and animals, were found scattered near Twin Peaks and Diamond Heights.
On July 5, 2013, a Dachshund named Oskar consumed one of the meatballs and began a seizure shortly after. Oskar died two days later. The poisoned meatballs appear as ground beef with red and green seeds. Signs of strychnine poisoning include seizure activity, muscle and limb stiffness, vomiting, respiratory failure, and increased heart rate and body temperature.
Residents and authorities are uncertain if all the poisoned meatballs from July have been recovered.
The pills from this morning have been turned over for testing.
Police have not found the individuals responsible for the last two incidents and no suspects have been found. Intent of the activities are also unknown.
Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) is working with VegNews Magazine and Yelp CEO Jeremy Stoppelman to find and arrest the individuals responsible. A reward of $5000 has been offered for finding the individuals.
Those with information on the meatballs are asked to call the San Francisco police.